Ja, du weißt es, teure Seele
Language: German (Deutsch)
Ja, du weißt es, teure Seele,
Daß ich fern von dir mich quäle,
Liebe macht die Herzen krank,
[Hielt ich nicht]1, der Freiheit Zecher,
Hoch den Amethysten-Becher,
Und du segnetest den Trank,
Und beschworst darin die Bösen,
Bis ich, was ich nie gewesen,
[Heilig an das Herz]2 dir sank,
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG ENG FRE ITA RUS SPA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Strauss: "Einst hielt ich"
2 Strauss: "Heilig, heilig an's Herz"
Submitted by Lawrence Snyder
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Dedicatòria", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Opdracht", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Lawrence Snyder) (Rebecca Plack) , "Dedication", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Peter Low) , "Dedication", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Dédicace", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) [singable] (David Paley) , "Dedication", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Dedica", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- RUS Russian (Русский) (Elena Kalinina) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Abel Alamillo Fernández) , "Dedicatoria", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:29
Line count: 12
Word count: 55
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Yes, you sense how much I languish,
how your absence feeds my anguish.
Love can bring the keenest pangs.
Once I posed as freedom's champion,
holding high my shining tankard,
and you blessed the toast I drank.
Yes, you saved my soul from capture,
so that, raised to holy rapture,
fired with love in your arms I sank.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
Note: updated 2015-10-26; changed "O give thanks" to "Hearty thanks", passim.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Peter Low, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2008-12-03.
Last modified: 2015-10-26 11:04:55
Line count: 12
Word count: 64