Why ‑‑ do they shut me out of Heaven?
Why -- do they shut me out of Heaven?
Did I sing -- too loud?
But -- I can sing a little minor,
Timid as a bird.
Wouldn't the angels try me --
just -- once -- more --
Just -- see -- if I troubled them --
But don't -- shut the door!
Oh if I -- were the Gentlemen
in the White [Robe]1
and they -- were the little Hand -- that knocked --
Could -- I -- forbid?
Why do they shut me out of Heaven?
Did I sing too loud?
Translation(s): CAT FRE GER ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Copland: "Robes"
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Aaron Copland (1900 - 1990), "Why do they shut me out of Heaven?", 1949-50, published 1951 [voice, piano], from Twelve Poems of Emily Dickinson, no. 3. [
text verified 1 time]
- by Juliana Hall , "Why -- do they shut me out of Heaven", 1999, first performed 2001 [soprano and piano], from Paradise - 7 songs for Soprano and Piano, no. 3. [
text not verified ]
- by Irwin Heilner (b. 1908), "Poem", 1930, rev. 1972. [medium voice, piano] [
text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Pourquoi m'ont-ils fermé la porte du ciel", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , title 1: "Per què m’han tancat les portes del cel?", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:26
Line count: 14
Word count: 77
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works