Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Les chars d'argent et de cuivre - Les proues d'acier et d'argent - Battent l'écume, - Soulèvent les souches des ronces. Les courants de la lande, Et les ornières immenses du reflux, Filent circulairement vers l'est, Vers les piliers de la forêt, Vers les fûts de la jetée, Dont l'angle est heurté par des tourbillons de lumière.
- by (Jean Nicholas) Arthur Rimbaud (1854 - 1891), "Marine", written 1872, appears in Les Illuminations, first published 1886 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Marc Bleuse (b. 1937), "Marine", 1994, published 2001 [soprano and piano], from 2 mélodies sur des textes d’Arthur Rimbaud, no. 2, Éd. Gérard Billaudot [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Marine", op. 18 no. 5, from Les Illuminations, no. 5. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Monique Gabus (1924 - 2012), "Marine", 1963, published 1987 [medium voice and piano], Éd. Henry Lemoine [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Noël Lee (1924 - 2013), "Marine", 1986-87, published 1987 [medium voice and piano four-hands], from Azurs, quatre mélodies sur des textes de Rimbaud, no. 1. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CHI Chinese (中文) (Yen-Chiang Che) , "海洋的", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Ahmed E. Ismail) , "Marine", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (José Miguel Llata) , "Marina", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
銀和銅製的戰車 鋼和銀製的船首 攪動出泡沫 掀起荊棘的根 荒野的水流 和退潮時留下無邊無際的凹痕 劃著圓圈退去 向著東方 向著森林的樹幹 向著層層疊疊的海堤 角落一隅 是個強烈的漩渦…… （那是）光的漩渦
- Translation from French (Français) to Chinese (中文) copyright © 2009 by Yen-Chiang Che, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Yen-Chiang Che.  Contact: g851701 (AT) hotmail (DOT) comIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in French (Français) by (Jean Nicholas) Arthur Rimbaud (1854 - 1891), "Marine", written 1872, appears in Les Illuminations, first published 1886