Wenn die Wogen unten toben
Language: German (Deutsch)
Wenn die Wogen unten toben,
Menschenwitz zuschanden wird,
Weist mit feur'gen Zügen droben
Heimwärts dich der Wogen Hirt.
Sollst nach keinem andern fragen,
Nicht zurückschaun nach dem Land,
Faß das Steuer, laß das Zagen!
Aufgerollt hat Gottes Hand
Diese Wogen zum Befahren
Und die Sterne, dich zu wahren.
Translation(s): ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wilhelm Petersen (1890 - 1957), "Spruch", op. 44 no. 7, published 1956. [
text not verified ]
- by Hans Erich Pfitzner (1869 - 1949), "Schlussgesang", op. 28, Heft 3 no. 7 [soprano, alto, tenor, bass, and chorus], from Von deutscher Seele - Teil III - Der Liederteil, no. 7. [
text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Canto finale", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Sailor's maxim", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title unknown, copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2004-04-28.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:05
Line count: 10
Word count: 48
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the German (Deutsch)
Quando le onde infuriano in basso,
l'umore dell'uomo sembra fare naufragio,
indica allora con saette infuocate
la strada di casa il signore delle onde.
A te non tocca fare domande,
né verso la terra indietro guardare,
tieni il timone, senza esitare!
Per navigare solleva le onde
La mano di Dio, e per proteggerti
Lassù in cielo, le stelle poi accende.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2009 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2009-09-01.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:20
Line count: 10
Word count: 60