Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
First, April, she with mellow showers Opens the way for early flowers, Then after her comes smiling May In a more rich and sweet array, Next enters June and brings us more Gems than those two that went before, Then (lastly,) July comes and she More wealth brings in than all those three; April! May! June! July!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Robert Herrick (1591 - 1674) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "The succession of the four sweet months", 1950, from Five Flower Songs, no. 2. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ernst Křenek (1900 - 1991), "The four sweet months" [chorus], from Three Madrigals, no. 2, madrigal [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Wijtse Rodenburg) , "April komt met haar milde regen", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Pauline Kroger) , "De opeenvolging van de vier zachte maanden", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) [singable] (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:33
Line count: 9
Word count: 57
Eerst baant April met zoete regen voor vroege bloemen vele wegen. na hem komt met een glimlach Mei, gehuld in rijker en zoeter kledij. Daarna volgt Juni met nog meer tooi dan de vorige twee, zo mooi. Tenslotte komt Juli en brengt meer weelde dan de andere drie ons bedeelden. April! Mei! Juni! Juli!
- Translation from English to Dutch (Nederlands) copyright © 2009 by Pauline Kroger, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Pauline Kroger.  Contact: Paulinekroger (AT) cs (DOT) comIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
Text added to the website: 2009-11-16 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:27
Line count: 9
Word count: 54