Language: French (Français)
S'il est vrai, Chloris, que tu m'aimes,
Mais j'entends, que tu m'aimes bien,
Je ne crois point que les rois mêmes
Aient un bonheur pareil au mien.
Que la mort serait importune
De venir changer ma fortune
A la félicité des cieux!
Tout ce qu'on dit de l'ambroisie
Ne touche point ma fantaisie
Au prix des grâces de tes yeux.
Translation(s): ENG ENG GER ITA SPA
List of language codes
Submitted by Ted Perry
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "To Chloris", copyright © 2013
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Elisa Rapado) , title 1: "A Chloris", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title unknown, copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Elaine Marie Ortiz-Arandes) , title 1: "An Chloris", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Peter Low) , title 1: "A Chloris", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2015-10-26 10:59:56
Line count: 10
Word count: 60
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Se davvero, Clori, mi vuoi bene
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the French (Français)
Se davvero, Clori, mi vuoi bene,
ed io credo che proprio così sia,
penso proprio che neppure un sovrano
possa avere una gioia pari alla mia.
E la morte sarebbe importuna
se cambiasse questa mia fortuna
con le gioie del paradiso!
E l'ambrosia con la sua dolcezza
non riuscirebbe a darmi l'ebbrezza
della grazia del tuo sorriso.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from French (Français) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2009 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2009-12-15.
Last modified: 2015-10-26 11:00:20
Line count: 10
Word count: 57