Language: German (Deutsch) after the Spanish (Español)
Unter die Soldaten ist ein Zigeunerbub' gegangen,
Mit dem Handgeld ging er durch, und morgen muß er hangen.
Holten mich aus meinem Kerker, setzten auf den Esel mich,
Geißelten mir meine Schultern, daß das Blut floß auf den Weg.
Holten mich aus meinem Kerker, stießen mich ins Weite fort,
Griff ich rasch nach meiner Büchse, tat auf sie den ersten Schuß.
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
Note: Schumann's cycle is numbered in different ways in different editions, e.g., the edition edited by Clara Schumann uses 7a and 7b for the two Zigeunerlieder while many other editions use 7 and 8.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Zigeunerliedje I", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Gypsy song", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Petit chant tzigane I", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Canto zigano I", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2015-04-13 15:18:25
Line count: 6
Word count: 61
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Canto zigano I
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the German (Deutsch)
Un giovane zigano si era arruolato,
scappò coi soldi dell'ingaggio, e domani sarà impiccato.
Vennero in carcere a prendermi, in groppa a un asino fui posto,
mi frustarono sulla schiena, perdevo sangue lungo il percorso.
Vennero in carcere a prendermi, mi spinsero assai lontano,
lesto afferrai il mio schioppo, a loro sparai per primo.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2010 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2010-01-11.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:30
Line count: 6
Word count: 54