Language: German (Deutsch)
Wie lieblich und fröhlich,
Zu schweben, zu singen,
[Von]1 glänzender Höhe
Zur Erde zu blicken!
Die Menschen sind thöricht,
Sie können nicht [zwitschern]2.
Sie jammern in Nöthen,
Wir flattern gen Himmel.
Der Jäger will tödten,
Dem Früchte wir pickten;
Wir müssen ihn höhnen,
Und Beute gewinnen.
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Musen-Almanach für das Jahr 1802. Herausgegeben von A. W. Schlegel und L. Tieck. Tübingen, in der Cotta'schen Buchhandlung, 1802, page 135; and with Friedrich Schlegel's sämmtliche Werke. Erster Band. Gedichte. Berlin, bei Julius Eduard Hitzig, 1809, page 14.
1 Schubert: "In"
2 Schlegel (1809 and later editions), and Schubert: "fliegen"
Submitted by David Gordon and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Els ocells", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "De vogels", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (David Gordon) , "Birds", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Les oiseaux", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Uccelli", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2018-07-12 07:01:23
Line count: 12
Word count: 46
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the German (Deutsch)
Che cosa gioiosa e bella
librarsi in aria e cantare,
e da luminose altitudini
osservare la terra!
Gli uomini sono folli,
non riescono a volare.
Si lamentano delle loro miserie,
noi voliamo in alto nel cielo.
Ci vuole uccidere il cacciatore,
per i frutti che abbiamo beccato;
ma noi ci burliamo di lui
e ci dividiamo il bottino.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2010 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2010-01-31 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:32
Line count: 12
Word count: 58