Language: German (Deutsch)
Dein süßer Schall
[Dringt]1 mir durch Mark und Bein.
Nein, trauter Vogel, nein!
Was in mir schafft so süße Pein,
Das ist nicht dein, --
Das ist von andern himmelschönen,
Nun längst für mich verklungenen Tönen
In deinem Lied ein leiser Widerhall.
Translation(s): DUT ENG ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with: C. Reinhold, Gedichte, Stuttgart: Carl Mäcken, 1853, page 11.
1 Brahms: "er dringet"
Submitted by Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Nachtigall", op. 97 (Sechs Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 1 (<<1885), published 1886 [voice and piano], Berlin, Simrock [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Nachtegaal", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Nightingale", copyright ©
- ENG English [singable] (Virginia Woods, Mrs. John P. Morgan) , "Nightingale"
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Rossignol", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Usignolo", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2019-01-14 16:56:24
Line count: 9
Word count: 43
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the German (Deutsch)
il tuo dolce canto,
mi penetra tutto.
No, caro uccello, no!
Ciò che mi suscita una così dolce pena,
non da te viene,
ma da altri suoni per me celestiali,
ormai da tempo svaniti;
la tua canzone ne è solo un eco lieve.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2010 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2010-03-13 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:36
Line count: 9
Word count: 45