Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Die Linien des Lebens sind verschieden, Wie Wege sind, und wie der Berge Grenzen. Was hier wir sind, kann dort ein Gott ergänzen Mit Harmonien und ewigen Lohn und Frieden.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Friedrich Hölderlin (1770 - 1843), no title [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Die Linien des Lebens", op. 61 no. 6, published 1963, from Sechs Hölderlin-Fragmente, no. 6. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Friedrich Cerha (b. 1926), "Die Linien des Lebens sind verschieden", 1995, from Acht Sätze nach Hölderlin-Fragmenten, no. 5. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Paul Geilsdorf (1890 - 1976), "Die Linien des Lebens", op. 69 no. 1 [TTBB quartet a cappella], from Sprüche des Lebens, no. 1. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Philippe Hersant (b. 1948), "Die Linien des Lebens", 1992 [soprano and instrumental ensemble (9 instruments)], from Lebenslauf, 6 mélodies pour soprano solo et ensemble instrumental, no. 6, Paris, Durand [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Die Linien des Lebens", from Hölderlin-Lieder: Zweiter Zyklus, no. 12. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Thomas Schubert (b. 1961), "An Zimmern" [medium voice or high voice and piano], from Hölderlin-Portrait, no. 4. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Alessandro Solbiati (b. 1956), "Die Linien des Lebens", 2000, from Hölderlin Lieder [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Les línies de la vida", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , no title, copyright ©
- ENG English [singable] (Walter A. Aue) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Les lignes de la vie", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:33
Line count: 4
Word count: 30
The lines of life are different, they sever just like the roads, just like the mountain ranges. What here we are, a God molds there - and changes us toward reward and joy and peace forever.
About the headline (FAQ)Translation dedicated to B. Kottmann
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2010 by Walter A. Aue, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Walter A. Aue.  Contact: waue (AT) dal (DOT) caIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
Text added to the website: 2010-03-26 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:37
Line count: 4
Word count: 36