Language: German (Deutsch)
Ich treibe auf des Lebens Meer,
Ich sitze gemuth in meinem Kahn,
Nicht Ziel, noch Steuer hin und her,
Wie die Strömung reißt, wie die Winde gahn.
Eine selige Insel sucht der Wahn,
Doch eine ist es nicht.
Du lande gläubig überall an,
Wo sich Wasser an Erde bricht.
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG FIN FRE SPA
List of language codes
Note: Schubert received Senn's poem in handwritten form. Senn did not publish it in any printed edition.
Submitted by Richard Morris and Peter Rastl
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Món benaurat", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Zalige wereld", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Blessed world", copyright © 2016
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Aleksi Reunanen) , "Autuas maailma", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Monde béni", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Lewis Grenville) , "Mundo feliz", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-10-11 08:23:19
Line count: 8
Word count: 49
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Spanish (Español) after the German (Deutsch)
Soy arrastrado por la corriente de la vida
Felizmente sentado en mi barco
Sin meta, sin timón, aquí y allá,
Donde la corriente fluya, los vientos soplen.
Una isla feliz busca mi desatino,
Pero no hay tal isla.
!Confía! amarra el barco, allí
Donde el agua rompa contra la tierra.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Spanish (Español) copyright © 2010 by Lewis Grenville, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2010-05-04.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:41
Line count: 8
Word count: 50