Geh! Gehorche meinen Winken
Language: German (Deutsch)
Geh! Gehorche meinen Winken,
Nutze deine jungen Tage,
Lerne zeitig klüger sein!
Auf des Glückes großer Waage
Steht die Zunge selten ein.
Du mußt steigen oder sinken,
Du mußt herrschen und gewinnen
Oder dienen und verlieren,
Leiden oder triumphieren,
Amboß oder Hammer sein.
Translation(s): ENG ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Max Bruch (1838 - 1920), "Zweites Kophtisches Lied", op. 59 (Fünf Lieder) no. 3 (1892), published 1892 [baritone and piano], Brüssel, Schott [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Leo Grill (1846 - 1919?), "Ein anderes", op. 6 no. 3, published 1874 [baritone or low tenor and piano], from Gesellige Lieder von W. Göthe, für Bariton oder tiefen Tenor mit Begleitung des Pianoforte, no. 3 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Nikolaus, Freiherr von Krufft (1779 - 1818), "Kophtisches Lied", c1814, published 1870, from Zwölf Lieder, no. 5 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Johann Friedrich Reichardt (1752 - 1814), "Kophtisches Lied", 1789, published 1796 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Ernest Vietor (flourished 1905-1930), "Koptisches Lied", op. 10 no. 4 (1933) [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Cophtisches Lied II", 1888, published 1891 [voice and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 15, Mainz, Schott [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist , copyright © [an adaptation] FRE ITA ; composed by Ralph Shapey.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Go, obey my message", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Chanson copte (une autre)", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Canzone copta II", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 10
Word count: 43
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works