Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Laßt mich nur auf meinem Sattel gelten! Bleibt in euren Hütten, euren Zelten! Und ich reite froh in alle Ferne, Über meiner Mütze nur die Sterne. Er hat euch die Gestirne gesetzt Als Leiter zu Land und See; Damit ihr euch daran ergötzt, Stets blickend in die Höh.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Freisinn", written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 1. Buch des Sängers -- Moganni Nameh [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hans Guido, Freiherr von Bülow (1830 - 1894), "Freisinn", op. 5 (Fünf Lieder) no. 1 (1852) [bass and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Friedrich) August Bungert (1845 - 1915), "Lasst mich nur auf meinem Sattel gelten", op. 24 no. 4, published 1883 [voice and piano], from West-östliche Rosen. Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte, no. 4, Leipzig, Edit. Peters [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Anton Grigoryevich Rubinstein (1829 - 1894), "Freisinn", op. 57 (Sechs Lieder) no. 5 (1860), published 1862 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Senff [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Freisinn", op. 25 no. 2 (1840), published 1840 [voice and piano], from Myrten, no. 2, Leipzig, Kistner [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Viktor Aleksandrovich Krylov (1838 - 1908) [an adaptation] CAT DUT ENG FRE ITA ; composed by Anton Grigoryevich Rubinstein.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Marta Garcia Cadena) , "Esperit lliure", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Enlightenment", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Esprit libre", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Spirito libero", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Just let me prove myself in the saddle! Remain in your huts and tents! and I will ride joyfully into the distance, with nothing above my cap but the stars. He has set the stars before you as guides across land and sea, so that you will delight in them as you gaze up into the sky.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- http://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Freisinn", written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 1. Buch des Sängers -- Moganni Nameh