Ohimè! se tanto amate
Language: Italian (Italiano)
Ohimé, se tanto amate
di sentir dir Ohimè, deh perché fate
chi dice Ohimè morire?
S'io moro un sol potrete
languido, e doloroso Ohimè sentire;
Ma se, cor mio, [vorrete]1
che vita [habb'io]2 da voi, e voi da me,
avrete mille e mille dolci Ohimè.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Monteverdi: "volete"
2 Monteverdi: "abbia"
Submitted by John Versmoren
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Ohimé! se tanto amate", 1953/4 [soprano, tenor, and SATB chorus a cappella], from Canti amorosi, no. 2, Mainz, Schott [ sung text not verified ]
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Ohimè! se tanto amate", published 1603 [ vocal quintet], from Libro IV de madrigali, no. 12, madrigal [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Benedetto Pallavicino (1551 - 1601), "Ohimè! se tanto amate", 1600, from Il sesto libro de madrigali a cinque voci, no. 17. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Barbara Miller) , "Alas, if you love so much", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Hélas ! si vous aimez tant", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:31
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works