Shy one, shy one
Shy one, shy one,
Shy one of my heart,
She moves in the firelight
She carries in the dishes,
And lays them in a row.
To an isle in the water
With her would I go.
She carries in the candles,
And lights the curtained room,
Shy in the doorway
And shy in the gloom;
And shy as a rabbit,
Helpful and shy.
To an isle in the water,
With her [would I]1 fly.
Translation(s): FRE IRI
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Yeats, William Butler. The Wanderings of Oisin: Dramatic Sketches, Ballads & Lyrics, T. Fisher Unwin, London, 1892, page 135.
1 Clarke: "I would"
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Allan Blank (b. 1925), "To an Isle in the Water" [medium voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by (William) Havergal Brian (1876 - 1972), "To an Isle in the Water", published <<1940. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Rebecca Clarke (1886 - 1979), "Shy one", 1912, published 1920. [voice and piano] [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Joseph Eidson , "To an isle in the water", 2013 [soprano (or tenor) and piano], from Amhráin as an Linn Dubh. Songs From the Black Pool, no. 1. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Lee Hoiby (1926 - 2011), "To an Isle in the Water", 1950. [voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Phoebe Wynn Johnson , "To an Isle in the Water", published 1921. [voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Christopher Kaye Le Fleming (b. 1908), "To an Isle in the Water", published 1931. [mezzo-soprano or baritone and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by (James) Albert Mallinson (1870 - 1946), "To an Isle in the Water", published 1907. [soprano or tenor and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Ellen Mandel , "To an Isle in the Water" [voice and piano] [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Eugene John Weigel (1910 - 1998), "To an Isle in the Water", published 1950 [SSA chorus a cappella], from Four songs for women's voices [ sung text not verified ]
- by Emerson Whithorne (1884 - 1958), "Shy one", published <<1940. [ sung text not verified ]
- by (James) Healey Willan (1880 - 1968), "To an Isle in the Water", published 1926. [medium voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Vers une île au milieu de l'eau", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:56
Line count: 16
Word count: 76
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Vers une île au milieu de l'eau
Language: French (Français) after the English
Timide de mon cœur,
Elle se déplace dans la lumière du feu
Dans ses pensées, à part.
Elle apporte les plats
Et les aligne.
Vers une île dans l'eau
Avec elle je voudrais aller.
Elle apporte les bougies,
Et éclaire la pièce garnie de rideaux,
Timide dans l'embrasure de la porte
Et timide dans l'obscurité.
Et timide comme un lapin,
Serviable et timide,
Vers une île au milieu de l'eau
Avec elle je voudrais m'envoler.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2011 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in English by William Butler Yeats (1865 - 1939), "To an isle in the water", appears in The Wanderings of Oisin and Other Poems, first published 1889 IRI
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Allan Blank, Havergal Brian, Rebecca Clarke, Joseph Eidson, Lee Hoiby, Phoebe Wynn Johnson, Christopher Kaye Le Fleming, Albert Mallinson, Ellen Mandel, Eugene John Weigel, Emerson Whithorne, Healey Willan. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2011-01-26.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:13
Line count: 16
Word count: 77