Guten Abend, gute Nacht
Language: German (Deutsch)
Guten Abend, [gute]1 Nacht,
Mit Rosen bedacht,
Mit Näglein besteckt,
Schlupf' unter die Deck,
Morgen früh, [wenns]2 Gott will,
Wirst du wieder geweckt.
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE ITA POR SPA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Achim von Arnim und Clemens Brentano, Des Knaben Wunderhorn, Band 3, Stuttgart, 1979, page 304.
1 Brahms: "gut' "
2 Brahms: "wenn"
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Wiegenlied", op. 49 (Fünf Lieder für eine Singstimme mit Begleitung des Pianoforte) no. 4 (1868), published 1868, first performed 1869 [voice and piano], Berlin, Simrock
- by Charles Edward Ives (1874 - 1954), "Wiegenlied", 1900?
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- POR Portuguese (Português) (Axel Bergstedt) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Good evening, good night", copyright ©
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , title 1: "Buonasera, buonanotte", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (unknown or anonymous translator)
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Bonsoir, bonne nuit", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Goedenavond, goedenacht", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2011-02-07 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2015-11-03 14:17:38
Line count: 6
Word count: 23
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the German (Deutsch)
coperto di rose,
trapunto di garofani,
scivola sotto le coperte:
domani mattina, se Dio vuole,
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Amelia Maria Imbarrato, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Amelia Maria Imbarrato. We have no current contact information for the copyright-holder.
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2008-01-24 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:14
Line count: 6
Word count: 19