Wie ein todeswunder Streiter
Language: German (Deutsch)
Wie ein todeswunder Streiter,
der den Weg verloren hat,
schwank' ich nun und kann nicht weiter,
von dem Leben sterbensmatt.
Nacht schon decket alle Müden,
und so still ist's um mich her,1
Herr, auch mir gib endlich Frieden,
denn ich wünsch' und hoff' nichts mehr!
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Wolf adds here: "Herr, gib Frieden!"
Submitted by Virginia Knight
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Heinrich Kaspar Schmid (1874 - 1953), "Wie ein todeswunder Streiter", op. 33 no. 4 (1920), first performed 1921, orchestrated 1940 [baritone and piano], from Der Pilger : Zyklus von fünf Gedichten von Joseph v. Eichendorff, no. 4. [
text not verified ]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Letzte Bitte", 1881 [satb chorus], from Sechs geistliche Lieder nach Gedichten von Eichendorff, no. 4. [
text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , title 1: "Final prayer", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title unknown, copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:27
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Like a mortally wounded warrior,
who has lost his way,
I begin to falter and cannot go on,
Worn to death by Life.
Now, night blankets all my weariness,
And it is so silent around me;
Lord, grant me peace!
Lord, grant me also ultimate peace,
As I desire and hope for nothing more!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Michael P. Rosewall, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2011-03-02.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:15
Line count: 9
Word count: 54