Language: German (Deutsch)
Nun merk' ich erst, wie müd' ich bin,
Da ich zur Ruh' mich lege;
Das Wandern hielt mich munter hin
Auf unwirthbarem Wege.
Die Füße frugen nicht nach Rast,
Es war zu kalt zum Stehen,
Der Rücken fühlte keine Last,
Der Sturm half fort mich wehen.
In eines Köhlers engem Haus
Hab' Obdach ich gefunden;
Doch meine Glieder ruhn nicht aus:
So brennen ihre Wunden.
Auch du, mein Herz, [im]1 Kampf und Sturm
So wild und so verwegen,
Fühlst in der Still' erst deinen Wurm
Mit heißem Stich sich regen!
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG ENG FIN FRE FRI HEB ITA KOR SPA
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Gedichte aus den hinterlassenen Papieren eines reisenden Waldhornisten. Herausgegeben von Wilhelm Müller. Zweites Bändchen. Deßau 1824. Bei Christian Georg Ackermann, pages 100-101; and with Urania. Taschenbuch auf das Jahr 1823. Neue Folge, fünfter Jahrgang. Leipzig: F. A. Brockhaus. 1823, page 220.
First published in Urania (see above) as no. 10 of Wanderlieder von Wilhelm Müller. Die Winterreise. In 12 Liedern.
1 Müller (Urania), and Schubert: "in"
Submitted by Ofer Sheinberg and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Reiner Bredemeyer (1929 - 1995), "Rast", 1984, first performed 1985 [baritone, horn, and piano], from Die Winterreise, no. 19, VEB Deutscher Verlag [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Rast", op. 89 no. 10, D. 911 no. 10 (1827), published 1828 [voice and piano], from Winterreise, no. 10, Haslinger [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Johannes (Hans) Wolfgang Zender (b. 1936), "Rast", 1993 [tenor and small orchestra], from Schuberts Winterreise, no. 10. [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Repòs", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Rustpauze", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Arthur Rishi) , "Rest", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (David Paley) , "Rest", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , "Lepotauko", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Repos", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRI Frisian [singable] (Pieter Wiersma) , "Rêst", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- HEB Hebrew (עברית) (Max Mader) , "מנוחה", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Sosta", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- KOR Korean (한국어/조선말) [singable] (곽명규 Myung-Kew Kwack) , "휴식", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Saúl Botero Restrepo) , "Descanso", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-11-22 00:48:44
Line count: 16
Word count: 90
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Korean (한국어/조선말) after the German (Deutsch)
나 지쳤음을 알겠네
여기 누워 쉬려니.
반기는 이 없어도.
걸음 멈출 수 없었네
짐 무거운 줄 몰랐네
오두막, 숯불 난로에
맘 편히 쉬지 못하네
상처가 타 올라서.
내 맘아, 너, 폭풍 앞엔
고요 속에선 어쩌리
불 바늘로 찌르니!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to Korean (한국어/조선말) copyright © 2011 by 곽명규 Myung-Kew Kwack, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
곽명규 Myung-Kew Kwack. Contact:
<autumnguy (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2011-03-09 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-08-12 12:45:44
Line count: 16
Word count: 48