Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Herzenstakt und Melodie Strömst du aus, Ordnest gütig, was in mir Wirr und kraus. Bin ich fern dir, wie verbannt, Bist du nah, Sinn ich, streite, wache, träume, Du bist da. Darf ich auch nicht bei dir sein, Abgesprengt, Sieh, wie dringlich dies mein Herz Dir zu drängt. Daß es deiner Hoheit dient, Nie vergiß; Daß du seine Helferin bist, Sei gewiß! Dunkel, Dickicht, Dornen droh'n, Doch es bricht Durch Gezweig und durch Gewölk Mir dein Licht. Du mein hochgelobter Stern, Halte Wacht, Tröste mich und führe mich Durch die Nacht.
- by Walter Hayes Misch (1878 - 1914), as Alfred Walter Heymel [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ludwig Rottenberg (1864 - 1932), "Trost" [baritone and piano], from Zwei Lieder für Bariton mit Klavierbegleitung, no. 2, Wien, Leipzig: Universal-Edition [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Comfort", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Heart-rhythm and melody Stream forth from you, You kindly smooth out that which in me Is tangled and muddled. When I am far from you, as if banished, You are near. If I ponder, struggle, watch, dream, You are there. Even though I am not permitted to be with you, Violently separated, See, how urgently this my heart Presses itself toward you. That it serves your majesty, Never forget; That you are its helpmeet, Be assured! Darkness, thickets, thorns menace me, But there bursts Through the branches and through the clouds Your light for me. You my highly-praised star, Keep watch, Comfort me and guide me Through the night.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Walter Hayes Misch (1878 - 1914), as Alfred Walter Heymel