Language: German (Deutsch)
Wenn der Regen durch die Gosse tropft,
bei Nacht, du liegst und horchst hinaus,
kein Mensch kann ins Haus,
du liegst allein,
allein: O käm er doch! Da klopft
es, klopft, laut -- hörst du? leise, schwach
tönt's im Uhrgehäuse nach;
dann tritt Totenstille ein.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Conrad (Eduard Reinhold) Ansorge (1862 - 1930), "Dann", op. 10 (Acht Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 7, published 1896 [voice and piano], Berlin, Challier & Co. [
text not verified ]
- by Artur Schnabel (1882 - 1951), "Dann", op. 11 (Zehn Lieder für eine Singstimme mit Begleitung des Pianoforte), Heft 1 no. 2, published 1902 [voice and piano], Berlin, Verlag Dreililien [
text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Puis", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Then", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2008-07-01.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:05
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
When the rain drips through the gutter
at night, you lie there and listen to what's going on outside,
nobody can enter the house,
you lie alone,
alone: Oh if he would only come! Then there is a knocking,
loud knocking -- do you hear? Quietly, weakly
there is a sympathetic vibration in the casing of the clock;
then a deathly silence falls.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2011-05-24.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:24
Line count: 8
Word count: 62