Die fünf Hühnerchen
Language: German (Deutsch)
Ich war mal in dem Dorfe,
Da gab es einen Sturm,
Da zankten sich fünf Hühnerchen
Um einen Regenwurm.
Und als kein Wurm mehr war zu sehn,
Da sagten alle: "Piep!"
Da hatten die fünf Hühnerchen
Einander wieder lieb.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Submitted by Ferdinando Albeggiani and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Leo Blech (1871 - 1958), "Die fünf Hühnerchen", op. 22 no. 7, copyright © 1915 [voice and piano], from Acht Liedchen großen und kleinen Kindern vorzusingen, Zweite Folge, no. 7, Universal Edition [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Max Reger (1873 - 1916), "Die fünf Hühnerchen", op. 76 (Schlichte Weisen) no. 51 (1909-10) [voice and piano], Band 5, "Aus der Kinderwelt" [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Erich Zeisl (1905 - 1959), "Die fünf Hühnerchen", 1932 [soprano and piano], from Sieben Lieder, no. 7. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The five little chickens", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Les cinq petits poulets", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2008-07-04.
Last modified: 2018-10-18 14:35:37
Line count: 8
Word count: 39
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
The five little chickens
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
I was once in the village
Where there was a tempest;
There were five little chickens
Fighting over an earthworm.
And when the worm was no longer to be seen,
All of them said "peep!"
Then the five little chickens
Were nice to each other again.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2011-05-31.
Last modified: 2018-10-19 10:11:23
Line count: 8
Word count: 46