Language: German (Deutsch)
O süßer Zauber im Jugendmut,
du goldner Becher voll Lebensglut!
Kein Schmuck so köstlich, so zauberreich,
kein Glück auf Erden, das deinem gleich!
Wo Jugend und Freude im Herzensverein,
soll glückliche Liebe die Königin sein.
Die Blüten lockt alle der Lenz hervor,
die Lerche steigt jubelnd zum Licht empor.
O Sonne der Liebe im Frühlingsschein,
mich laß deine Blume, die Lerche sein.
Translation(s): ENG RUS
List of language codes
Submitted by Virginia Knight
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz (Ferenc) Liszt (1811 - 1886), "Jugendglück", S. 323 (1860), published 1860 [tenor or soprano and piano], Leipzig, Kahnt [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Adolf Wallnöfer (1854 - 1946), "Jugendglück", op. 7 (Fünf Gedichte für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 1, published 1877 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The happiness of youth", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- RUS Russian (Русский) (Jelena Jermolajeva) , "Счастье юности", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-08-16 10:24:07
Line count: 10
Word count: 62
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
The happiness of youth
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Oh sweet magic in the spirit of youth,
You golden goblet full of the glow of life!
No adornment so valuable, so magical,
No happiness on earth that is comparable to yours!
Where youth and happiness are joined in the heart,
Joyful love shall be the queen.
Springtime entices all the blossoms to come forth,
The lark rises jubilantly toward the light.
Oh sun of love in the shining spring,
Let me be your flower, [let me be] the lark.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Richard Pohl (1826 - 1896) RUS
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Franz Liszt, Adolf Wallnöfer. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2011-05-31.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:24
Line count: 10
Word count: 80