Language: German (Deutsch)
Es zog eine Hochzeit den Berg entlang,
Ich hörte die Vögel schlagen,
Da blitzten viel Reiter, das Waldhorn klang,
Das war ein lustiges Jagen!
Und eh' ich's gedacht, war alles verhallt,
Die Nacht bedecket die Runde,
Nur von den Bergen rauschet der Wald
Und mich schauert im Herzensgrunde.
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE HEB ITA NOR POR POR SPA
List of language codes
View text with footnotes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gustav Adolf Fischer , "Im Walde", op. 1 no. 2, published 1859 [voice and piano], from Vom Walde her. Fünf Lieder für Alt-Stimme mit Pianoforte, no. 2, Frankfurt a/O., Kressner [ sung text not verified ]
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Im Walde", 1991, first performed 1992 [high voice or medium voice and piano], from Eichendorff-Lieder, no. 4, Mainz, Schott [ sung text not verified ]
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Im Walde", 1995, first performed 1997 [TTBB chorus a cappella], from ...was dem Herzen kaum bewußt... : Acht Chorlieder für Männerchor a cappella, no. 2, Mainz, Schott [ sung text not verified ]
- by Paul Kont (1920 - 2000), "Im Walde", 1977 [medium voice or low voice and piano], from Zehn Lieder, no. 1. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Nikolai Karlovich Medtner (1880 - 1951), "Im Walde", op. 46 (Sieben Gedichte = Sem' stikhotvorenij) no. 4 (1925-6). [voice and piano] [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Wilhelm Petersen (1890 - 1957), "Im Walde", op. 44 no. 4, published 1956. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Louis Samson , "Im Walde", published 1873 [voice and piano], from Lieder und Gesänge für eine Singstimme mit Begleitung des Pianoforte. II. Reihe, Heft I, no. 4, Dresden, Arnold [ sung text not verified ]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Im Walde", op. 39 no. 11 (1840), published 1842 [voice and piano], from Liederkreis von Joseph Freiherr von Eichendorff, no. 11, Wien, Haslinger [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Im Walde", op. 75 (Romanzen und Balladen für Chor (Heft 2)) no. 2 (1849). [mixed chorus a cappella] [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "In het woud", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "In the woods", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "En forêt", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- HEB Hebrew (עברית) (Max Mader) , "ביער", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Nel bosco", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , "I skogen", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- POR Portuguese (Português) (Elke Beatriz Riedel) , "Na floresta", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- POR Portuguese (Português) (Margarida Moreno) , "Na floresta", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Diego S. Loyola) , "En el bosque", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:27
Line count: 8
Word count: 48
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Portuguese (Português) after the German (Deutsch)
Um casamento passou pelo monte.
Ouvi os pássaros cantar!
Repentinamente apareceram muitos cavaleiros, tocou a trompa,
Foi uma bela caçada!
E antes que me apercebesse tudo se extinguiu,
A noite cobriu as redondezas,
Só a floresta sussurra dos montes e eu estremeço
No meu íntimo!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
View text with footnotes
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Portuguese (Português) copyright © 2011 by Margarida Moreno, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Margarida Moreno. Contact:
<margaridabc (AT) mail (DOT) telepac (DOT) pt>
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Im Walde", appears in Gedichte, in 1. Wanderlieder, first published 1835 DUT ENG FRE HEB ITA NOR SPA
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Gustav Adolf Fischer, Wilhelm Killmayer, Paul Kont, Nikolai Karlovich Medtner, Wilhelm Petersen, Louis Samson, Robert Schumann. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2011-07-16.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:28
Line count: 8
Word count: 45