Language: German (Deutsch)
Eine Krähe [war]1 mit mir
Aus der Stadt gezogen,
Ist bis heute für und für
Um mein Haupt geflogen.
Krähe, wunderliches Thier,
Willst mich nicht verlassen?
Meinst wohl bald als Beute hier
Meinen Leib zu fassen?
Nun, es wird nicht weit mehr gehn
An dem Wanderstabe.
Krähe, laß mich endlich sehn
Treue bis zum Grabe!
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG ENG FIN FRE FRI HEB IRI ITA KOR SPA
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Gedichte aus den hinterlassenen Papieren eines reisenden Waldhornisten. Herausgegeben von Wilhelm Müller. Zweites Bändchen. Deßau 1824. Bei Christian Georg Ackermann, page 92; and with Deutsche Blätter für Poesie, Litteratur, Kunst und Theater. Herausgegeben von Karl Schall und Karl von Holtei. Breslau 1823, bei Graß, Barth und Comp. No. XLI. 13. März 1823, page 161.
First published in Deutsche Blätter (see above) as no. 3 of the installment of Die Winterreise. Lieder von Wilhelm Müller.
1 Müller (Deutsche Blätter): "ist"
Submitted by Ofer Sheinberg and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Reiner Bredemeyer (1929 - 1995), "Die Krähe", 1984, first performed 1985 [baritone, horn, and piano], from Die Winterreise, no. 11, VEB Deutscher Verlag [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Die Krähe", op. 89 no. 15, D. 911 no. 15 (1827), published 1828 [voice and piano], from Winterreise, no. 15, Haslinger [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Johannes (Hans) Wolfgang Zender (b. 1936), "Die Krähe", 1993 [tenor and small orchestra], from Schuberts Winterreise, no. 15. [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "El corb", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "De kraai", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Arthur Rishi) , "The crow", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (David Paley) , "The crow", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , "Varis", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Le corbeau", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRI Frisian [singable] (Pieter Wiersma) , "De Roek", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- HEB Hebrew (עברית) (Max Mader) , "העורב", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , "An préachán", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "La cornacchia", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- KOR Korean (한국어/조선말) [singable] (곽명규 Myung-Kew Kwack) , "까마귀", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Saúl Botero Restrepo) , "La corneja", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-11-22 04:38:03
Line count: 12
Word count: 55
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Croaking crows that had with me
From the town departed,
Until this time had always
Round my head been flying.
Crow on, admirable bird,
You'll not want to leave me?
Think you soon to prey on me
Fast'ning on my body?
Now, I'll not have long to go
With my walking staff here.
Crow bird, let me see at last
Loyalty to graveyard!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by David Paley, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
David Paley. Contact:
<davidpaley (AT) btinternet (DOT) com>
If the copyright-holder(s) are unreachable for three business days, please write to:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2011-10-28.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:40
Line count: 12
Word count: 63