Not from the stars do I my judgement...
Not from the stars do I my judgement pluck;
And yet methinks I have Astronomy,
But not to tell of good or evil luck,
Of plagues, of dearths, or seasons' quality;
Nor can I fortune to brief minutes tell,
Pointing to each his thunder, rain and wind,
Or say with princes if it shall go well
By oft predict that I in heaven find:
But from thine eyes my knowledge I derive,
And, constant stars, in them I read such art
As truth and beauty shall together thrive,
If from thyself, to store thou wouldst convert;
Or else of thee this I prognosticate:
Thy end is truth's and beauty's doom and date.
Translation(s): FRE FRE ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Simpson (1820 - 1876), "Sonnet XIV", 1864. [medium voice and piano] [
text not verified ]
- by Harri Vuori (b. 1957), "Sonnet 14", 1999, published 1999 [tenor and viola da gamba], from From Day to Dream / Päivästä uneen päin, neljä W. Shakespearen tummaa sonettia, no. 1. [
text verified 1 time]
- by David Winkler , "Sonnet XIV", 1981 [soprano and piano], from Five songs [
text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (François Pierre Guillaume Guizot) , no title, from Oeuvres Complètes de Shakspeare Volume VIII, in Sonnets, no. 14, published 1863
- FRE French (Français) (François-Victor Hugo) , no title, from Sonnets de Shakespeare, no. 14, published 1857
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Non dalle stelle i miei giudizi ricavo", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2007-10-10.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:58
Line count: 14
Word count: 112
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Non dalle stelle i miei giudizi ricavo
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the English
Non dalle stelle i miei giudizi ricavo;
Eppure dell'Astrologia possiedo buona opinione,
ma non per pronosticare fato buono o cattivo,
carestie, pestilenze o mutar di stagione;
Neppure so profetizzare in un breve istante
segnalando ad ognuno piogge, vento o tuono
o rivelando se arrida fortuna all'uomo potente,
grazie ai segnali che nel cielo trovo:
Solo dagli occhi tuoi deriva il mio sapere,
che, come due stelle fisse, di ciò mi danno scienza:
che insieme verità e bellezza potranno prosperare
solo se dal tuo seme trarrai discendenza.
Se tu non vorrai farlo, la mia profezia è questa:
con la tua morte avrà fine anche virtù e bellezza.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from English to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2011 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2011-11-11.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:41
Line count: 14
Word count: 106