Language: German (Deutsch)
ach Herr! wie teuer
wollt' ich es hegen,
wollt' ich es pflegen!
Hab's nicht geheget
und nicht gepfleget,
bin tot im Herzen
Translation(s): ENG FRE FRE ITA
List of language codes
Note: the poem is preceded by the Latin inscription
A cujus igne
Et Te amare:
Cur non flagravi?
Cur non amavi
Te, Jesu Christe?
- O frigus triste!
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Tobias Hiller (b. 1966), "Seufzer", 2004 [mixed chorus a cappella], from Musikalische Mörike-Kommentare, no. 6. [ sung text not verified ]
- by (Karl) Emil Kauffmann (1836 - 1909), "Seufzer", op. 11 (Vier Lieder) no. 4, published 1868 [low voice and piano], Stuttgart, Zumsteeg [ sung text not verified ]
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Seufzer", 2005, first performed 2004 [tenor and piano], from Mörike-Liederzyklus, no. 15, note: added to the cycle in 2005 [ sung text not verified ]
- by Fritz Schieri (b. 1922), "Seufzer", 1993. [voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Ad. Stolz , "Seufzer", published 1892 [medium voice and piano], from Drei geistliche Lieder für 1 mittlere Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung, no. 1, Ludwigsburg, Ebner [ sung text not verified ]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Seufzer", from Mörike-Lieder, no. 22. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Sigh", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Soupir", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , "Soupir", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Sospiro", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:42
Line count: 8
Word count: 26
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: French (Français) after the German (Deutsch)
Le feu de ton amour,
Oh, Seigneur, comme tendrement
je voudrais le choyer,
Comme je voudrais le soigner !
Je ne l'ai pas choyé
Et je ne l'ai pas soigné,
Je suis mort dans mon cœur,
Ô douleur de l'enfer.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2011 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "Seufzer" ENG ITA
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Tobias Hiller, Emil Kauffmann, Wilhelm Killmayer, Fritz Schieri, Ad. Stolz, Hugo Wolf. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2011-11-19.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:42
Line count: 8
Word count: 40