Language: German (Deutsch)
Wenn zu der Regenwand
Phöbus sich gattet,
Gleich steht ein Bogenrand
Im Nebel gleichen Kreis
Seh ich gezogen;
Zwar ist der Bogen weiß,
So sollst du, muntrer Greis,
Dich nicht betrüben:
Sind gleich die Haare weiß,
Doch wirst du lieben.
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
Submitted by Siân Goldthorpe
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Phänomen", op. 61 (Vier Duette) no. 3 (1874). [vocal duet] [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Wolfgang Michael Rihm (b. 1952), "Phänomen", 2004-7, first performed 2007 [baritone and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 5. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Phänomen", 1888-9, published 1891 [voice and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 32, Mainz, Schott [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Fenomeen", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Siân Goldthorpe) (Christian Stein) , title 1: "Phenomenon", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Phénomène", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Giulio Cesare Barozzi) , title 1: "Fenomeno", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 12
Word count: 44
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the German (Deutsch)
Quando a un muro di pioggia
Febo si unisce,
Subito appare un arco
Ombreggiato di colori.
Nella nebbia io vedo
Disegnato un arco uguale;
Certo, l'arco è bianco,
Ma è l'arcobaleno.
Dunque, allegro vegliardo,
Non devi angustiarti:
Anche se i capelli sono bianchi,
Sì, amerai ancora.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2012 by Giulio Cesare Barozzi, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2012-03-24 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:50
Line count: 12
Word count: 46