Es rauschen die Winde
Language: German (Deutsch)
Es rauschen die Winde
So herbstlich und kalt;
Verödet die Fluren,
Entblättert der Wald.
Ihr blumigen Auen!
Du sonniges Grün!
So welken die Blüten
Des Lebens dahin.
Es ziehen die Wolken
So finster und grau;
Verschwunden die Sterne
Am himmlischen Blau!
Ach, wie die Gestirne
Am Himmel entflieh'n,
So sinket die Hoffnung
Des Lebens dahin!
Ihr Tage des Lenzes
Mit Rosen geschmückt,
Wo ich [den Geliebten]1
Ans Herze gedrückt!
Kalt über den Hügel
Rauscht, Winde, dahin!
So sterben die Rosen
Der Liebe dahin.
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG ENG ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
See also this setting by Petenrieder titled Herbst
1 Lachner, in some editions of Schubert: "die Geliebte"
Submitted by Emily Ezust and Andrew Schneider
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ludwig Berger (1777 - 1839), "Herbst", published 1842 [voice and piano], Leipzig: Frederic Hofmeister [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Bernhard (Joseph) Klein (1793 - 1832), "Herbst", published 1842 [voice and piano], Leipzig: Frederic Hofmeister [ sung text not verified ]
- by Franz Paul Lachner (1803 - 1890), "Herbst", op. 30 no. 1, published 1831 [voice, violoncello or horn, and piano], Wien, Mechetti [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Franz (Ferenc) Liszt (1811 - 1886), "Es rauschen die Winde", S. 294. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Heinrich August Marschner (1795 - 1861), "Der Herbst", op. 145 (Drei Duetten für 2 Sopranstimmen mit Pianoforte) no. 2, published 1850 [vocal duet for 2 sopranos with piano], Leipzig, Kistner [ sung text not verified ]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Herbst", D. 945 (1828). [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by (Karl Gottfried) Wilhelm Taubert (1811 - 1891), "Herbst", op. 9 (Zwölf Lieder) no. 6, published 1832 [voice and piano], Berlin, Schlesinger [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Herfst", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Michael Lee) , "Gusting are the winds", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Charles Fonteyn Manney) , "The winds of autumn", first published 1911
- ENG English [singable] (David Paley) , "Autumn", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Automne", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Antonio Zencovich) , "Autunno", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-10-11 12:39:24
Line count: 24
Word count: 83
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
The breezes are rustling
Autumnal and cold,
Make barren the valleys
Denuding the wood.
The blooms on the meadows
So sunlit and green,
Now withering blossoms
Of life we have seen.
Such rushing of cloudbanks
So gloomy and grey;
And vanished are stars in
The heavenly blue.
As silvery clusters
To heaven must fade,
So sink resolutions
Of life that we made.
You days of the springtime
With roses adorned
When I my belovèd
Have pressed to my heart.
Cold over the hillside
Blow winds on the scene;
So die all the roses
Of love that has been.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
Note: singable to the Schubert version.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2012 by David Paley, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
David Paley. Contact:
<davidpaley (AT) btinternet (DOT) com>
If the copyright-holder(s) are unreachable for three business days, please write to:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Ludwig Rellstab (1799 - 1860), "Herbst" CAT DUT FRE ITA
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Ludwig Berger, Bernhard Klein, Franz Paul Lachner, Franz Liszt, Heinrich August Marschner, Franz Peter Schubert, Wilhelm Taubert. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2012-07-23.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:00
Line count: 24
Word count: 98