Wahre, wahre deinen Sohn
Language: German (Deutsch) after the Russian (Русский)
Wahre, wahre deinen Sohn,
Nachbarin, vor Wehe,
weil ich ihn mit schwarzem Aug'
zu bezaubern gehe.
O wie brennt das Auge mir,
das zu Zünden fordert!
Flammet ihm die Seele nicht --
deine Hütte lodert.
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG FIN FRE ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Mimi Ezust
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Wahre, wahre deinen Sohn", op. 65 no. 5 (1875), published 1875 [vocal quartet and piano four-hands or instrumental ensemble], from Neue Liebeslieder, no. 5, Berlin, Simrock [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Robert von Hornstein (1833 - 1890), "Wahre, wahre deinen Sohn", op. 51 (22 Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 16, published 1885 [voice and piano], Stuttgart, Kröner [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Protect, protect your son", copyright ©
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Proteggi, proteggi tuo figlio", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:25
Line count: 8
Word count: 34
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Proteggi, proteggi tuo figlio
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the German (Deutsch)
Proteggi, proteggi tuo figlio,
dal dolore, o vicina;
perché io con i miei occhi scuri
già vengo per incantarlo.
Oh, come già arde il mio sguardo
pronto ad accendere passione!
Se la sua anima non si infiamma,
si incendierà la tua casa.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2012 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2012-09-24 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:03
Line count: 8
Word count: 42