Und wenn es einst dunkelt
Language: German (Deutsch)
Und wenn es einst dunkelt,
Der Erd bin ich satt,
Durchs Abendrot funkelt
Eine prächt'ge Stadt:
Von den goldenen Türmen
Singet der Chor,
Wir aber stürmen
Das himmlische Tor.
Translation(s): FRE FRE
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Peter Cornelius (1824 - 1874), "Der alte Soldat", op. 12 (3 Männerchöre) no. 1 (1873). [chorus of 6 tenors and 3 basses] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Philippe Hersant (b. 1948), "Le soldat", subtitle: "Der alte Soldat", 2011, published 2012 [baritone and piano], from In die Ferne, no. 8, Paris, Éd. Durand [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist by Philippe Hersant.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Le vieux soldat", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2004-04-03.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:04
Line count: 8
Word count: 29
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Le vieux soldat
Language: French (Français) after the German (Deutsch)
Et une fois qu'il fera sombre,
Que je serai rassasié de la terre,
Dans le couchant resplendira
Une ville splendide :
Des tours dorées
Chantera le chœur,
Mais nous attaquerons
La porte céleste.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
Note: the text is by an inmate of the prison of Clairvaux, identified only by a first name
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2012 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2012-10-26.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:05
Line count: 8
Word count: 33