Wie klag' ich's aus
Language: German (Deutsch)
»Wie klag' ich's aus
Durch die Glieder rinnt?
Wie sing' ich's aus
Dich, o Geist, anweht?«
[Es klagt', es]1 sang
Bis das Leben floh.
Das [ist]2 des Schwanen Gesang!
Translation(s): CAT ENG FIN FRE
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Gedichte von Johann Senn. Innsbruck, in der Wagner'schen Buchhandlung. 1838, page 15
Note: Schubert received Senn's poem in handwritten form. Senn issued it later in the book mentioned above, with the footnote In Musik gesetzt von Fr. Schubert.
1 Schubert: "Er klagt', er"
2 Schubert: "bedeutet"
Submitted by Richard Morris and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor] and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Aleksi Reunanen) , "Joutsenlaulu", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Chant du cygne", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-10-11 07:35:59
Line count: 13
Word count: 39
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Chant du cygne
Language: French (Français) after the German (Deutsch)
« Comment je me plains,
du sentiment de la mort,
De la dissolution qui court
à travers les membres ?
Comment je chante,
le sentiment de naissance,
Le salut, ô esprit,
qui t'attend ?
Il se lamentait, il chantait,
Jusqu'à ce que la vie s'envole,
C'est ce que veut dire le chant du cygne !
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2012 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2012-11-12.
Last modified: 2017-11-11 15:10:34
Line count: 13
Word count: 59