¿Con qué la lavaré?
Language: Spanish (Español)
¿Con qué la lavaré
la [tez]1 de la mi cara?
¿Con qué la lavaré,
Que vivo mal penada?
Lávanse las casadas
con agua de limones:
lávome yo, cuitada,
con [penas]2 y dolores.
Translation(s): ENG ENG FRE GER IRI
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Vasquez: "flor"
2 Vasquez: "ansias"
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Steuart Allin) , title 1: "With what then may I bathe", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Avec quoi puis-je laver", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , title 1: "Conas a nífidh mé?", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Womit kann ich sie netzen", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , title 1: "With what shall I bathe", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-12-09 22:24:11
Line count: 8
Word count: 32
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Avec quoi puis‑je laver
Language: French (Français) after the Spanish (Español)
Avec quoi puis-je laver
La peau de mon visage ?
Avec quoi puis-je laver,
Moi qui vis dans le tourment ?
Les femmes mariées lavent
Avec de l'eau citronnée ;
Mais moi, malheureuse, je dois laver
Avec des chagrins et des peines.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from Spanish (Español) to French (Français) copyright © 2012 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2013-01-10.
Last modified: 2014-12-09 22:24:28
Line count: 8
Word count: 42