Guten Abend, gut' Nacht
Language: German (Deutsch)
Guten Abend, gut' Nacht,
Von Englein bewacht.
Die zeigen im Traum
Dir Christkindleins Baum
[Droben im Paradies
Schlaf nun selig uns süß]1.
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE ITA POR SPA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Brahms, Ives: "Schlaf nun selig und süß, /
Schau im Traum's Paradies"
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
[ None yet in the database ]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Wiegenlied", op. 49 (Fünf Lieder für eine Singstimme mit Begleitung des Pianoforte) no. 4 (1868), published 1868, first performed 1869 [voice and piano], Berlin, Simrock
- by Charles Edward Ives (1874 - 1954), "Wiegenlied", 1900?
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Goedenavond, goedenacht", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Good evening, good night", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Bonsoir, bonne nuit", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Buonasera, buonanotte", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- POR Portuguese (Português) (Axel Bergstedt) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (unknown or anonymous translator) , "Buenas tardes, buenas noches", written 2009
Text added to the website: 2003-11-21 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:00
Line count: 6
Word count: 22
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Bonsoir, bonne nuit
Language: French (Français) after the German (Deutsch)
Bonsoir, bonne nuit,
Gardé par de petits anges.
Ils te montrent en rêve
Le petit arbre du petit Jésus
[Là-haut dans le paradis,
Dors bienheureux chéri.]¹
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
¹ Brahms : "Dors bienheureux chéri / Vois le paradis dans tes rêves."
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2012 by Pierre Mathé, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2013-01-25 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2017-09-16 12:54:32
Line count: 6
Word count: 26