Bleiche Blüte, Blüte der Liebe
Language: German (Deutsch)
Bleiche Blüte, Blüte der Liebe,
Leuchte über dem Laubendach,
Ruf' in klopfenden Mädchenherzen,
Blüte der Liebe, die Sehnsucht wach!
Deiner Kelche verströmender Atem
Zittert, verzittert so schwer und so stark,
Schwül von deinen duftenden Kronen
Weht der Nachtwind über den Park.
In der Laube lauschen zwei Augen.
Zögert und zagt ein Mädchenmund,
Sorge dich nicht und laß dich küssen,
Sieh, nur Sträucher raunen im Rund.
Und es ruft dir im pochenden Herzen
Weißer Jasmin die Sehnsucht wach -
Weiße Blüten, Blüten der Liebe
Leuchten über dem Laubendach.
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG FRE
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View text with footnotes
Submitted by Alberto Pedrotti and Lau Kanen [Guest Editor] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Eugen Lindner (1858 - 1915), "Weisser Jasmin", published 1900 [voice and piano], from Nächte, no. 2, Leipzig, Herm. Seemann Nachf. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Franz Mittler (1893 - 1970), "Weißer Jasmin", published 1911. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Richard Georg Strauss (1864 - 1949), "Weißer Jasmin", op. 31 (Vier Lieder von Carl Busse und Richard Dehmel) no. 3, published 1896 [voice and piano], Berlin, Fürstner [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "El blanc gessamí", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "White jasmine", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Jasmin blanc", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2019-01-12 23:06:52
Line count: 16
Word count: 87
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Pale blossom, blossom of love,
Shine over the roof of the arbour,
Within the beating hearts of maidens
Awaken longing, blossom of love!
The exhaling breath of your calices
Trembles, trembles away so heavily and strongly,
Laden with the scent of your coronas
The night wind wafts sensuously over the park.
In the arbour two eyes are listening,
A maiden's lips demur and hesitate,
Do not be anxious and let yourself be kissed,
See, only bushes are murmuring around us.
And within your beating heart,
White jasmine is awakening longing --
White blossoms, blossoms of love
Shine above the roof of the arbour.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
View text with footnotes
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2013-02-25.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:08
Line count: 16
Word count: 102