Language: German (Deutsch)
Der Hirt blast seine Weise,
Von fern ein Schuß noch fällt,
Die Wälder rauschen leise
Und Ströme tief im Feld.
Nur hinter jenem Hügel
Noch spielt der Abendschein -
O hätt ich, hätt ich Flügel,
Zu fliegen da hinein!
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Joseph Freiherrn von Eichendorff, Gedichte, Berlin, Verlag von M. Simion, 1841, page 220.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Stephan Baekers , "Abendlandschaft", 1979, from Fünf Eichendorff-Lieder, no. 4. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Humbert Geyer (b. 1948), "Abendlandschaft" [medium voice and piano], from Fünf Lieder, no. 5. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Arno Kleffel (1840 - 1913), "Abendlandschaft", op. 12 no. 9, published 1869 [voice and piano], from Lenz und Liebe. Eine Liederreihe, no. 9, Leipzig, Breitkopf und Härtel [ sung text not verified ]
- by Erich Wolfgang Korngold (1897 - 1957), "Abendlandschaft", op. 5 no. 4 (1911) [voice and piano], from Zwölf Lieder: So Gott und Papa will, no. 4. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Eduard Lassen (1830 - 1904), "Abendlandschaft", published 1869 [voice and piano], from Sechs Lieder, no. 4, Breslau, Hainauer [ sung text not verified ]
- by Ernst (Friedrich Karl) Rudorff (1840 - 1916), "Abendlandschaft", op. 3 (Sechs Gedichte von J. von Eichendorff) no. 3, published 1864 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Senff [ sung text not verified ]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Abendlandschaft", op. 20 no. 10 (1914) [voice and piano], from Lieder nach Gedichten von Uhland und Eichendorff, no. 10. [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Evening landscape", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Paysage vespéral", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2015-03-06 21:46:16
Line count: 8
Word count: 39
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
The shepherd pipes his lay,
In the distance a shot still rings out,
The forests sough quietly
And the streams, deep in the fields.
Only behind that hill
The evening light still plays-
Oh had I, had I wings
To fly into [the evening light] there!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2013-07-31 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:17
Line count: 8
Word count: 46