Lob des Frühlings
Language: German (Deutsch)
Sonnenregen, linde Luft!
Wenn ich solche Worte singe,
Braucht es [dann]1 noch großer Dinge,
Dich zu preisen, Frühlingstag?
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Gedichte von Ludwig Uhland, J.G.Cotta’sche Buchhandlung, Stuttgart und Tübingen, 1815, page 56.
1 Marx: "da"
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by C. Altenburg , "Lob des Frühlings", op. 1 no. 5, published 1900 [voice and piano], from Uhland's Frühlingslieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung, no. 5, Braunschweig, Wollermann [ sung text not verified ]
- by Robert Kahn (1865 - 1951), "Lob des Frühlings", op. 75 (45 Lieder für dreistimmigen Chor a capella) no. 32 (1924). [three-part chorus a cappella] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Sigfrid Karg-Elert (1877 - 1933), "Lob des Frühlings", op. 11 (Acht Lieder für eine Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 2, published 1906. [voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Theobald Kretschmann (1850 - 1919), "Lob des Frühlings", op. 21 no. 5, published 1891 [voice and piano], from Frühlingslieder von Uhland für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung, no. 5, Wien, Rörich [ sung text not verified ]
- by Conradin Kreutzer (1780 - 1849), "Lob des Frühlings", op. 33 no. 5, KWV 9105 no. 5, published 1818 [voice and piano], from Fünf Frühlingslieder von Uhland, no. 5. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Joseph Marx (1882 - 1964), "Lob des Frühlings", 1907, published 1910 [high voice and piano], in Lieder und Gesänge, I. Folge, Nr.15 [ sung text verified 2 times]
- by (Jakob Ludwig) Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy (1809 - 1847), "Lob des Frühlings", op. posth. 100 (Vier Lieder für Sopran, Alt, Tenor und Bass) no. 2. [SATB quartet] [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Karl Heinrich Carsten Reinecke (1824 - 1910), "Lob des Frühlings", op. 100 (Zehn Gesänge) no. 2 (1868). [vocal trio for female voices with piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Ernest Vietor (fl. 1905-1930), "Lob des Frühlings", op. 12 (Frühlingslieder) no. 1 (1934-5), from Frühlingslieder, no. 1. [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Lof der lente", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Praise of spring", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Louange du printemps", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-02-21 15:31:57
Line count: 6
Word count: 22
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Praise of spring
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
The first green of the sown wheat, the scent of violets,
The whirling of larks, the singing of blackbirds,
Showers of sunlight, balmy air!
If I sing words such as these,
Are great things still necessary
To praise you, springtime day?
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Ludwig Uhland (1787 - 1862), "Lob des Frühlings", appears in Lieder, in Frühlingslieder, no. 5 DUT FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): C. Altenburg, Robert Kahn, Sigfrid Karg-Elert, Theobald Kretschmann, Conradin Kreutzer, Joseph Marx, Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Karl Heinrich Carsten Reinecke, Ernest Vietor. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2013-09-01.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:19
Line count: 6
Word count: 41