WARNING. Not all the material on this website is in the public domain.
It is illegal
to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material
For more information, contact us at the following address:
Submissions by Lehrman, Leonard
( 87 items: 43 texts and 44 translations )
To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
<ljlehrman (AT) nassaulibrary (DOT) org>
If the copyright-holder is unreachable for three business days, please write to:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Translations of entire song cycles (alphabetic order):
Texts and Translations
- A poet was describing a lady. I cite; title: "To a critic" [translation]
- My tomcat's looking at my calendar; title: "The awakening of spring" [translation]
- Our predecessors, rattling; title: "Descendants" [translation]
- She was a famous writer; title: "A misunderstanding" [translation]
- There's a lodger seated on a suitcase; title: "Kreutzer Sonata" [translation]
- Arise, my darling, day is breaking!; title: "Winter morning"
- Good evening, my darling; title: "Serenade in vain" [translation]
- Schifflein mit dem weissen Segel; title: "Schifflein"
- White-sailed boat upon the ocean [translation]
- Wenn du mich einmal nicht mehr liebst; title: "Liebeslied"
- Blow, little breeze, gentle and sweet; title: "Message" [translation]
- As sweetest melodies it breezes; title: "Like melodies" [translation]
- As the breath of God flutters through His fields; title: "To a wrinkle" [translation]
- Songless and oppressed was I; title: "Songless was I" [translation]
- I see your image, when the breath of dawn; title: "I see your image" [translation]
- Between the sky and the earth a song is heard; title: "The lark" [translation]
- Gone is the gloomy separation; title: "First reunion" [translation]
- Passion spent, the fervor of its frenzy; title: "Passion spent" [translation]
- Albeit the Venice girls get praise; title: "Ballad of the women of Paris"
- Il faut chercher la discipline dans la liberté; title: "Monsieur Croche à la Boulangerie"
- One must seek discipline in freedom [translation]
- Night of stars, beneath your veils; title: "Night of stars" [translation]
- As the swains will serenade; title: "Mandolin" [translation]
- When setting is the sun and rose-hued are the rivers; title: "Lovely evening" [translation]
- 'Tis the ecstasy so langourous; title: "'Tis the ecstasy" [translation]
- Tears fall within my heart; title: "Tears fall within my heart" [translation]
- Shadows of trees in the misty river bay; title: "Shadows of trees" [translation]
- Please take this gift of flowers, fruits, branches, leaves, -- enjoy it! [translation]
- Evanescent soul, like a vagrant; title: "Romance" [translation]
- The moon was rising, pure, but much icier though; title: "Music" [translation]
- The sea is more beautiful; title: "The sea is more beautiful" [translation]
- Shtil, di nakht iz oysgeshternt; title: "Shtil di nakht"
- It has been many years since the maestro resplendent in velvet opera cape; title: "My song"
- O move in me, my darling, for now the sun must rise; title: "Woman's song"
- I dreamed of such colorful flowers; title: "Spring dream" [translation]
- Once a lad a roselet spied; title: "Roselet on the heather" [translation]
- You know French perfectly; title: "My university"
- My friends, don't be offended now
- And as the Rhine Bridge hove in view
- I bored around an hour or so until
- The goddess made me a pot of tea
- All that took place upon that night
- And then my dear mother caught sight of me; title: "At mother's"
- The stony-faced houses staring at me
- One dull, dreary day in November 'twas
- We Jews divide into groups once more; title: "We Jews"
- What she reveal'd I cannot relate
- And when I came to the docks that night
- While up above you could hear
- My friends, I hereby bid of you a song
- The French and the Russians control the land
- Be quiet, Sir! Begone, I say!; title: "The cautious struggle"
- It's a lazy afternoon; title: "Lazy afternoon"
- Sweet Isabella met a new caballero; title: "Isabella's Broom Dance (Sweeping Dance)"
- Lincoln was a long man. He liked the out of doors; title: "Abraham Lincoln"
- I hear Abe Lincoln's going away; title: "Anne Rutledge"
- Out of the North Paul Bunyan blew; title: "Paul Bunyan"
- Mama remembers the four-leaf clover; title: "Childhood Memories"
- Norma, this morning, along the roadside through the valley; title: "No rose need ask"
- My luck is bad, my teacher's mad; title: "Floatin' down the river"
- Have you a question; title: "Have you a question?"
- Look at the rain it's raining; title: "Rain"
- I am thoroughly disconcerted by your long conversations; title: "May I escape?"
- Get up get up good morning again; title: "Good morning"
- What did you do outside today?; title: "What did you do today?"
- I point out the windows; title: "Saying Good Night"
- Growing growing; title: "Growing"
- Goodbye goodbye; title: "Goodbye, Goodbye"
- As I was goin' along; title: "As I was goin' along"
- Johnny Appleseed! Johnny Appleseed!; title: "Johnny Appleseed"
- Art thou thinking often now, sweetheart, my love; title: "Art thou thinking often now, sweetheart, my love" [translation]
- Roses from the dark hedge I plucked at night; title: "Sapphic Ode" [translation]
- Rosy evening clouds hang in the firmament; title: "Rosy evening clouds hang in the firmament" [translation]
- Death is the cool night; title: "Death is the cool night" [translation]
- At twilight the summer evening lies [translation]
- Dark, how dark it is in the forest and field!; title: "Of eternal love" [translation]
- I sit by the shore of the rushing sea; title: "Despondency" [translation]
- A young maiden pledged [translation]
- Oh, if I only knew the road back [translation]
- Ho there, Gypsy! Strike resoundingly each string!; title: "Ho there, Gypsy! Strike resoundingly each string!" [translation]
- When the silvery moon beams through the shrubs [translation]
- High and towering river Rima; title: "High and towering river Rima" [translation]
- Know ye, when my loved one is fairest of all this?; title: "Know ye, when my loved one is fairest of all this?" [translation]
- Dear God, Thou know'st how oft I've rued this; title: "Dear God, Thou know'st how oft I've rued this" [translation]
- Brown the lad, blue-eyed the lassie; title: "Brown the lad, blue-eyed the lassie" [translation]
- Rosebuds three, all on one tree, ye bloom so red; title: "Rosebuds three, all on one tree, ye bloom so red" [translation]