Much of our material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material
Printing texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information
, contact us at the following address:
Please read the instructions below the translations before writing!
In your e-mail, always include the names of the translators if you wish to reprint something.
Submissions by Ismail, Ahmed E.
( 187 items: 130 texts and 57 translations )
To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Translations of entire song cycles (alphabetic order):
Texts and Translations
- For all flesh is as grass [translation]
- Lord, teach me [translation]
- How lovely are thy dwelling places, O Lord of Hosts! [translation]
- You now have sorrow [translation]
- For we have here no continuing city [translation]
- Blessed are the dead [translation]
- The righteous souls are in God's hand [translation]
- Blessed are they that mourn [translation]
- Once I pass'd through a populous city; title: "Idyll"
- Слышишь, сани мчатся в ряд
- Слышишь к свадьбе зов святой
- Слышишь, воющий набат
- Похоронный слышен звон
- Listen! Sleds rushing past in a row [translation]
- Listen to the golden wedding bell's holy call [translation]
- Hear the howling warning bell [translation]
- Hear the funeral bell ring [translation]
- If the child naps; title: "Cradle song after an old air" [translation]
- Tenderly intertwined, my dearly beloved [translation]
- Why do I see the perfumed rose pale? [translation]
- Since no ray from your beloved eyes [translation]
- Soothe! soothe! soothe!
- Till of a sudden
- Blow! blow! blow!
- Yes, when the stars glisten'd
- It's Lindor! It's Tircis! and all our vanquishers!; title: "Pavane" [translation]
- Come fathers and mothers; title: "Zion's walls"
- Among those who died from love; title: "Among those who died from love" [translation]
- The blessed son of God only; title: "Choral: Kyrieleison"
- And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field; title: "Narration (3)"
- And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God
- The shepherds sing; and shall I silent be?
- But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her own heart
- Sweet was the song the Virgin sang; title: "Lullaby"
- Bright portals of the sky
- Now when Jesus was born, behold there came wise men from the east; title: "Narration (6)"
- No sad thought his soul affright
- Ring out, ye crystal spheres
- Nowell! Nowell! Nowell!; title: "Prologue"
- Now the birth of Jesus Christ was in this wise: when as his mother; title: "Narration (1)"
- It was the Winter wild
- And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from; title: "Narration (2)"
- Hebt zu der ewigen
- Du fond de l'abîme je t'invoque; title: "Psaume 130: Du fond de l'abîme"
- From the depths of the abyss I cry; title: "From the depths of the abyss (Psalm 130)" [translation]
- Word equal to the Most High; title: "Canticle of Jean Racine" [translation]
- There once was a haughty queen; title: "Forest Legend" [translation]
- From the high cliffs a castle gleams; title: "Wedding piece" [translation]
- By the willow tree, among cool firs; title: "The minstrel" [translation]
- O joys! Infinite sweetness! with what flowers
- Synku miły i wybrany; title: "Lento, sostenuto tranquillo ma cantabile"
- Mamo, nie płacz, nie; title: "Lento e largo, tranquillissimo"
- Kajze mi sie podzioł; title: "Lento, cantabile semplice"
- Selig sind die Toten
- Selig sind, die da Leid tragen; title: "Selig sind, die da Leid tragen"
- Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras; title: "Denn alles Fleisch ist wie Gras"
- Herr, lehre doch mich
- Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen, Herr Zebaoth!; title: "Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen"
- Ihr habt nun Traurigkeit; title: "Ihr habt nun Traurigkeit"
- Denn wir haben hie keine bleibende Statt; title: "Denn wir haben hie keine bleibende Statt"
- O man, greatly beloved, fear not
- The glory of this latter house
- Nation shall not lift up a sword against nation
- There was a time when meadow, grove, and stream
- Lord, thou hast been our refuge from one generation to another
- Life may change, but it may fly not
- Love, from its awful throne of patient power
- To suffer woes which hope thinks infinite
- O Spirit vast and deep as Night and Heaven!
- The world's great age begins anew
- Go, for they call you, Shepherd, from the hill; title: "An Oxford Elegy"
- Come, holy Spirite, most blessed Lorde; title: "Whitsunday Hymn"
- The Angel of Death has been abroad throughout the land
- We looked for peace, but no good came
- Nothing bit this evening; title: "The kingfisher" [translation]
- It is my beloved hunchback; title: "The guinea-fowl" [translation]
- It is the hour when, bored with wandering; title: "The cricket" [translation]
- He surely will be getting married today; title: "The peacock" [translation]
- Resurrexi, et adhuc tecum sum, alleluia
- Viri Galilaei; title: "Viri Galilaei"
- He glides upon the basin, like a white sleigh; title: "The swan" [translation]
- Asia, Asia, Asia; title: "Asia" [translation]
- The shade is sweet and my master sleeps; title: "The enchanted flute" [translation]
- Your eyes are soft, like those of a girl; title: "The indifferent one" [translation]
- Sanft, wie du lebtest; title: "Elegischer Gesang"
- Gently, as you lived [translation]
- Nun ist das Heil und die Kraft und das Reich; title: "Nun ist das Heil und die Kraft"
- Timor et tremor venerunt super me; title: "Timor et tremor"
- Fear and terror have settled upon me; title: "Fear and terror" [translation]
- Vinea mea electa, ego te plantavi; title: "Vinea mea electa"
- O vineyard, my chosen one! I planted you; title: "O vineyard, my chosen one!" [translation]
- Tenebrae factae sunt, dum crucifixissent Jesum Judaei
- Shadows covered the earth, when the Jews crucified Jesus; title: "Shadows covered the earth" [translation]
- Tristis est anima mea usque ad mortem
- Sad is my soul unto death; title: "Sad is my soul unto death" [translation]
- Thus spake Isaiah; title: "Belshazzar's Feast"
- C'est Lindor! c'est Tircis ! et c'est tous nos vainqueurs !; title: "Pavane"
- A song of the setting sun!
- Cease smiling, Dear! a little while be sad
- Pale amber sunlight falls across
- Exceeding sorrow
- By the sad waters of separation; title: "Exile"
- The daisy has closed its petals; title: "Open your heart" [translation]
- When my mother died I was very young; title: "The chimney sweeper"
- ``Father! father! where are you going?
- When the voices of children are heard on the green
- In futurity
- All the night in woe; title: "The little girl found"
- Is this a holy thing to see
- Reading this indignant page
- Pity would be no more
- My mother bore me in the southern wild
- O how shall I warble myself for the dead one there I loved?
- O what shall I hang on the chamber walls?
- Lo, body and soul -- this land
- Sing on, sing on, you gray-brown bird
- To the tally of my soul
- Passing the visions, passing the night
- Come lovely and soothing death
- Now while I sat in the day, and look'd forth
- When lilacs last in the dooryard bloom'd
- Then with the knowledge of death as walking one side of me
- O powerful western fallen star!
- I saw askant the armies
- In the dooryard fronting an old farm-house near the white-wash'd palings
- Yet each I keep and all, retrievements out of the night
- In the swamp in secluded recesses
- Over the breast of the spring, the land, amid cities
- Coffin that passes through lanes and streets
- (Nor for you, for one alone
- O western orb sailing the heaven
- 'Tis done-- but yesterday a King!; title: "Ode to Napoleon Buonaparte"
- O the rapes, fires, murders, and rivers of blood; title: "The Comfort of Friends (O the rapes)"
- Forth went the candid man
- A learned man came to me once
- All praise to thee, my God, this night; title: "Hymn for Evening"
- Faith lights us, even through the Grave; title: "Evidence of Things not seen"
- Sound forth celestial organs, let heaven's quite; title: "Sound forth celestial organs"
- Fair as unshaded light, or as the day; title: "Fair as unshaded light"
- Yet once again, let us our measures move; title: "Yet once again, let us our measures move"
- Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road
- Escape me?; title: "Life in a love"
- I am he that aches with amorous love
- A glimpse, through an interstice caught; title: "A glimpse"
- Wake my soul, and with the sun; title: "Hymn for Morning"
- . . . I saw a mass of matter of a dull gloomy color; title: "I saw a mass of matter of a dull gloomy color"
- To-day a rude brief recitative
- On the beach at night alone
- After the sea-ship, after the whistling winds
- O vast Rondure, swimming in space
- O we can wait no longer
- Passage to more than India!
- Once, Paumanok
- O ashes of my beloved, the stingy tomb; title: "Tears of the lover at the tomb of the beloved" [translation]
- An old man bending, I come, among new faces
- Fair and fair, and twice so fair; title: "Fair and fair"
- London, to thee I do present the merry month of May
- Fair Summer droops, droop men and beasts therefore
- Autumn hath all the Summer's fruitful treasure; title: "Movement IV. Madrigal con ritornelli"
- We are the music makers
- These are towns! This is a people for whom; title: "Towns" [translation]
- Gracious child of Pan! Around your brow, crowned; title: "Antique" [translation]
- I hung strings from steeple to steeple; title: "Phrase" [translation]
- A beautiful morning, among a most gentle people; title: "Royalty" [translation]
- Chariots of silver and copper; title: "Marine" [translation]
- I alone hold the key to this wild parade; title: "Interlude" [translation]
- The merry cuckoo, messenger of spring; title: "The merry cuckoo"
- In front of the snow stands a tall Beauteous Being; title: "Being Beauteous" [translation]
- Now the bright morning star, day's harbinger
- What sturdy odd fellows. Several have exploited; title: "Parade" [translation]
- Waters above eternal springs!; title: "Waters above"
- Enough seen. Visions have been met in every respect; title: "Departure" [translation]
- When will my May come, that I may embrace thee?; title: "When will my May come"
- Whispers of heavenly death murmur'd I hear
- I shall rest upon your heart; title: "I shall rest upon your heart" [translation]
- While they were away at war; title: "While they were away at war" [translation]
- I languish night and day; my pain is extreme; title: "Serenade of the Bourgeois Gentleman" [translation]
- O Death, you old captain, it is time! Anchors away!; title: "Death" [translation]
- O Death, old captain, it's time! Raise the anchor!; title: "Death" [translation]
- Shake, good horse, your fleeing mane; title: "The gallop" [translation]
- If I were, o my love; title: "Serenade" [translation]
- Take my advice, dear Climene; title: "Take my advice, dear Climene" [translation]
- Et Musique est une science; title: "Ode à la Musique"
- So Music is a science; title: "Ode to music" [translation]
- Sing on, there in the swamp!
- Adieu, farewell earth's blisse
- O little red rose; title: "Primal light" [translation]