Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Mutter, Mutter! glaube nicht, Weil ich ihn lieb' also sehr, Daß nun Liebe mir gebricht, Dich zu lieben wie vorher. Mutter, Mutter! seit ich ihn Liebe, lieb' ich erst dich sehr. Laß mich an mein Herz dich zieh'n Und dich küssen, wie mich er. Mutter, Mutter! seit ich ihn Liebe, lieb' ich erst dich ganz, Daß du mir das Sein verlieh'n, Das mir ward zu solchem Glanz.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Lyrische Gedichte, in 3. Liebesfrühling, in 5. Fünfter Strauß. Verbunden, no. 33 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hermann Linke , "Mutter, Mutter! glaube nicht", op. 3 (Zwanzig Lieder meist im Volkston) no. 16, published 1876 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Kahnt [ sung text not verified ]
- by Carl Ludwig Amand Mangold (1813 - 1889), "Mutter, glaube nicht", op. 7 no. 3, published 1840, from 6 Lieder aus Fr. Rückert's Liebes-Frühling, no. 3, Darmstadt, Pabst [ sung text not verified ]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Lied der Braut I", op. 25 no. 11 (1840), published 1840 [voice and piano], from Myrten, no. 11, Leipzig, Kistner [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Marta Garcia Cadena) , "Cançó de la promesa", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Lied van de bruid I", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Bride's song", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Chant de la fiancée I", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Pilar Lirio
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:48
Line count: 12
Word count: 67
Mother, mother, do not believe That because I love him so much I am now short of love With which to love you as I have in the past. Mother, mother, since I love him I now truly love you. Let me draw you to my heart And kiss you as he kisses me! Mother, mother! Since I love him I finally love you completely For giving me the existence That has become so radiant for me.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Lyrische Gedichte, in 3. Liebesfrühling, in 5. Fünfter Strauß. Verbunden, no. 33
Text added to the website: 2008-06-16 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:44
Line count: 12
Word count: 77