Language: German (Deutsch)
Die ihr leuchtet meinem Nachen,
Mich beruhigt auf dem Meere
Eure Milde, euer Wachen.
Wer auch, fest in sich begründet,
Unverzagt dem Sturm begegnet;
Fühlt sich doch in euren Strahlen
Doppelt muthig und gesegnet.
Dieses Ruder, das ich schwinge,
Meeresfluthen zu zertheilen;
Hänge ich, so ich geborgen,
Auf an eures Tempels Säulen.
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG FRE ITA ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Gedichte von Johann Mayrhofer. Wien. Bey Friedrich Volke. 1824, page 183.
Note: Schubert received Mayrhofer's texts in handwriting; the manuscripts of his cycle Heliopolis, dedicated to Franz von Schober, are preserved in the Vienna City Library. The printed edition of Mayrhofer's poems appeared much later. This poem (originally no. 20 of the cycle) is not part of the cycle in the printed edition of 1843.
1 Schubert: "Zwillingssterne"
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , no title, copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Paolo Pupillo) (Claretta Manara) , no title, copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2018-03-24 12:18:19
Line count: 12
Word count: 54
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works