Language: Italian (Italiano)
Il tuo destino non sai.
Ah! non gli dite mai
Qual era il genitor.
Come in un punto, oh Dio,
Tutto [cambiò]1 d'aspetto!
Voi foste il mio diletto,
Voi siete il mio terror.
Translation(s): CAT ENG FRE GER
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 246.
The text appears in "Demofoonte", atto III, scena V (Timante's aria).
1 Schubert: "cangiò"
Submitted by Richard Morris and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 - 1791), "Misero me . . . Misero pargaletto", K. 77 (1771). [soprano and orchestra]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Pobre infant", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Unhappy child", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Malheureux enfant", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Laura Prichard) , "Armes Kindlein", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-12-18 02:22:37
Line count: 8
Word count: 35
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works