I am here to sing thee songs
Language: English after the Bangla (Bengali)
I am here to sing thee songs.
In this hall of thine I have a corner seat.
In thy world I have no work to do;
My useless life can only break out
in tunes without a purpose.
When the hour strikes for thy silent worship
at the dark temple of midnight,
command me, my master, to stand before thee to sing.
When in the morning air,
the golden harp is tuned,
honour me, commanding my presence.
Translation(s): FRE GER SWE
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ralph D'Mello (b. 195?), "Gitanjali", 1999 [tenor or baritone and clarinet], from Tagore Songs, no. 1. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Gert Oost (b. 1943), "I am here to sing", 1993 [soprano, flute, and piano], from Drie Liederen uit de Wijzangen, no. 1. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Raymond Murray Schafer (b. 1933), "I am here to sing thee songs", 1991 [soprano and orchestra], from Gitanjali, no. 6. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Naresh Sohal (b. 1939), "I am here to sing thee songs", 1999-2002 [soprano and piano], from Songs of Desire, no. 2. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Gwyneth Walker (b. 1947), "Invocation - I am here to sing thee songs", 1999 [SATB chorus and string quartet], from The Golden Harp, no. 1. [ sung text not verified ]
Settings in other languages or adaptations:
- Also set in English, a translation by André Gide (1869 - 1951) , no title, from Gitanjali (L'Offrande lyrique), Paris, Gallimard, published 1914 FRE GER SWE by Elsa Barraine.
- Also set in Swedish (Svenska), a translation by Andrea Butenschön (1866 - 1948) ENG FRE GER ENG by Miklós Maros.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Bertram Kottmann , title 1: "Hier bin ich, Lieder dir zu singen", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission ENG FRE ENG SWE by Gary Bachlund.
Other available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Je suis ici pour chanter des chants", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2010-01-24.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:32
Line count: 11
Word count: 77
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works