Language: German (Deutsch)
Schlafe, schlafe, holder, süßer Knabe,
Leise wiegt dich deiner Mutter Hand;
Sanfte Ruhe, milde Labe
Bringt dir schwebend dieses Wiegenband.
Schlafe, schlafe in dem süßen Grabe,
Noch beschützt dich deiner Mutter Arm.
Alle Wünsche, alle Habe
Faßt sie liebend, alle liebwarm.
Schlafe, schlafe in der Flaumen Schoße,
Noch umtönt dich lauter Liebeston;
Eine Lilie, eine Rose,
Nach dem Schlafe werd' sie dir zum Lohn.
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG FRE IRI ITA SPA
List of language codes
Note: according to Snyder's German Poetry in Song: An Index of Lieder, this poem is often misattributed to Claudius but it is not to be found in his works. This may be due to the similarity of its first line with that of this poem.
The text to Alois Melichar's arrangement of Schubert's melody can be found here.
Submitted by Richard Morris and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Wiegenlied", op. 98 (Drei Lieder) no. 2, D. 498 (1816), published 1829. [voice and piano] [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by (Karl Gottfried) Wilhelm Taubert (1811 - 1891), "Wiegenlied", op. 124 no. 8, published 1860 [voice and piano], from Klänge aus der Kinderwelt, Heft VII, no. 8, Berlin, Bahn [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Cançó de bressol", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Wiegelied", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Linda Godry) , "Lullaby", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Berceuse", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , "Suantraí", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Antonio Zencovich) , "Ninna nanna", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Lewis Grenville) , "Canción de cuna", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-10-11 12:39:23
Line count: 12
Word count: 64
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works