L'âme évaporée et souffrante
Language: French (Français)
L'âme évaporée et souffrante,
L'âme douce, l'âme odorante
Des lys divins que j'ai cueillis
Dans le jardin de ta pensée,
Où donc les vents l'ont-ils chassée,
Cette âme adorable des lys?
N'est-il plus un parfum qui reste
De la suavité céleste
Des jours où tu m'enveloppais
D'une vapeur surnaturelle,
Faite d'espoir, d'amour fidèle,
De béatitude et de paix?...
Translation(s): ENG ENG GER
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Korin Kormick) , "Romance", copyright © 2002, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Leonard Lehrman) , "Romance", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Romanze", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2018-04-05 17:20:42
Line count: 12
Word count: 58
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the French (Français)
Evanescent soul, like a vagrant,
Soul of sweetness, so very fragrant -
Lilies divine that I have cull'd
From all your thoughts of ev'ry day -
Where have the winds chased it away,
Most charming of souls in the world?
Is there then no more scent, no leaven,
From all that sweetness straight from heaven -
Your arms around me wrapp'd, like this,
Amid a supernat'ral haze,
All full of hope and faith, those days,
And all full of peace and of bliss?
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2012 by Leonard Lehrman, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
Leonard Lehrman. Contact:
<ljlehrman (AT) oysterbaylibrary (DOT) org>
If the copyright-holder(s) are unreachable for three business days, please write to:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in French (Français) by Paul Bourget (1852 - 1935), "Romance", written 1882, appears in Les aveux, in Amour, no. 32, Paris Éd. Alphonse Lemerre, first published 1882 GER
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Claude Achille Debussy, Charles Marie Jean Albert Widor. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2012-04-30.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:53
Line count: 12
Word count: 83