Language: German (Deutsch)
Wir Kinder im Juli geboren
Lieben den Duft des weißen Jasmin,
Wir wandern an blühenden Gärten hin
Still und in schwere Träume verloren.
Unser Bruder ist der scharlachene Mohn,
Der brennt in flackernden Schauern
Im Ährenfeld und auf den heißen Mauern,
Dann treibt seine Blätter der Wind davon.
Wie ein Julinacht will unser Leben
Traumbeladen seinen Reigen vollenden,
Träumen und heißen Erntefesten ergeben,
Kränze von Ähren und rotem Mohn in den Händen.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 156-157.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Julius Klaas (1888 - 1965), "Julikinder", op. 29 no. 7 (1944). [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Friedrich Wilhelm Lothar (1885 - ?), "Julikinder", op. 86 no. 7. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ekkehart Oehler , "Julikinder", 1957. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Carl von Szelle , "Julikinder", 1925 [voice and piano], from Sechszehn [sic] Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 16. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Heinz Zabel , "Julikinder", <<1949 [voice and piano], from Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 6. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Children of July", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Enfants de juillet", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-05-08.
Last modified: 2018-11-08 22:23:26
Line count: 12
Word count: 72
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Children of July
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
We children, born in July,
Love the scent of the white jasmine,
We wander along beside blooming gardens
Silent and sunk in deep dreams.
Our brother is the scarlet-red poppy
That burns in flickering shudders
In the field of grain and upon the hot stone walls--
Then the wind drives its petals away.
Like a night in July our life wishes
To complete its roundelay dream-laden,
[Wishes] to dream and to become totally wrapped up in harvest feasts,
With wreaths of ears of grain and red poppies in our hands.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Julikinder", written 1904, appears in Unterwegs, first published 1911 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Julius Klaas, Friedrich Wilhelm Lothar, Ekkehart Oehler, Carl von Szelle, Heinz Zabel. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2013-11-12.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:23
Line count: 12
Word count: 90