Inschrift auf eine Uhr mit den drei...
Language: German (Deutsch)
Am langsamsten von aller Göttern wandeln wir,
Mit Blätterkronen schön geschmückte, schweigsame.
Doch wer uns ehrt und wem wir selber günstig sind,
Weil er die Anmut liebet und das heil'ge Maß,
Vor dessen Augen schweben wir im leichten Tanz
Und machen mannigfaltig ihm den langen Tag.
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Eduard Mörike. Gedichte. Dramatisches. Erzählendes, Stuttgart: J.G. Cotta'sche Buchhandlung Nachf., 1961, pages 92-93.
The poem has a quote below the title:
Βἀρδισται μακάρων Ὧραι φίλαι - Theokr.*
* Theokrit: «Idyllen», 15, V. 104: «Langsam gehn die Horen vor andern seligen Göttern»
Submitted by Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Inscription for a clock with the three Horae", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:42
Line count: 6
Word count: 46
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Inscription for a clock with the three Horae
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Of all the gods, we travel the most slowly,
[We,] beautifully garlanded with leafy crowns, [we] silent ones.
But he who honours us and upon whom we ourselves look favourably
Because he loves grace and holy moderation,
Before his eyes we hover in a light dance
And make the long day multifaceted for him.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
Translation of quote from Theocritus: "The dear Hours are the slowest of the Blessed Ones".
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "Inschrift auf eine Uhr mit den drei Horen"
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Felix Wolfes. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2013-11-18.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:23
Line count: 6
Word count: 54