Beginn des Endes
Language: German (Deutsch)
Ein Punkt nur ist es, kaum ein Schmerz,
Nur ein Gefühl, empfunden eben;
Und dennoch spricht es stets darein,
Und dennoch stört es dich zu leben.
Wenn du es Andern klagen willst,
So kannst du's nicht in Worte fassen.
Du sagst dir selber: "Es ist nichts!"
Und dennoch will es dich nicht lassen,
So seltsam fremd wird dir die Welt,
und leis verlässt dich alles Hoffen,
Bis du es endlich, endlich weißt,
Daß dich des Todes Pfeil getroffen.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Submitted by John Versmoren
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Début de la fin", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "The beginning of the end", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:51
Line count: 12
Word count: 78
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
The beginning of the end
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
It is only a pinprick, hardly a pain,
Only a feeling, just perceived;
And yet its voice always speaks,
And yet it hampers you in living.
If you wish to lament about it to others,
You cannot formulate it in words.
You say to yourself: "It is nothing!"
And yet it will not leave you.
So peculiarly strange the world is becoming for you,
And quietly all hope leaves you,
Until you finally, finally know
That the arrow of death has struck you.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Theodor Storm (1817 - 1888), "Beginn des Endes" FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Daniël de Lange. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2013-12-11.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:25
Line count: 12
Word count: 83