O Nacht, du silberbleiche
Language: German (Deutsch)
O Nacht, du silberbleiche,
In deine fremden Reiche
Nimm meine Seele hin!
Schiffbrüchig aus des Tages Not
Leg ich vertraut mein scheues Boot
Ausruhend von erregter Flucht
An deiner Stille heimatliche Bucht.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 495.
Submitted by Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Oh night, you silvery pale", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Ô nuit, à la pâleur argentée", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2014-09-17.
Last modified: 2017-11-26 20:03:49
Line count: 8
Word count: 34
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Oh night, you silvery pale
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Oh night, you silvery, pale,
Into your foreign kingdoms
Take my soul!
Shipwrecked from the sorrow of the day,
Resting from the impassioned flight,
Trustingly I moor my shy boat
In the home port of your stillness.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "O Nacht, du silberbleiche", written 1901 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Woldemar Sacks, Karl Weigl. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2014-09-19.
Last modified: 2014-09-19 07:38:40
Line count: 8
Word count: 39