Language: German (Deutsch) after the Persian (Farsi)
Gebt mir meinen Becher! Seht, er überstrahlt
Die blasse Lampe der Vernunft, so wie
Die Sonne die Gestirne überstrahlt!
Gebt mir meinen Becher! Sämtliche Gebete
Meines Breviers will ich vergessen, alle
Suren des Korans stürz ich in den Wein!
Gebt mir meinen Becher! Und Gesang erschalle
Und dringe zu den tanzenden Sphären auf
Mit mächtigem Schwung! Ich bin der Herr der Welt!
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hans Bethe, Hafis Nachdichtungen, Kelkheim: YinYang Media Verlag, 2004, page 26.
Submitted by Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Entrain", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Impetus", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2004-12-29.
Last modified: 2014-09-25 12:54:35
Line count: 9
Word count: 62
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Give me my goblet! See, it outshines
The pale lamp of reason, just as
The sun outshines the stars!
Give me my goblet! All the prayers
Within my breviary I wish to forget, all
The surahs of the Koran I plunge into the wine!
Give me my goblet! And may songs ring out
And rise up to the dancing spheres
With a mighty impetus! I am the lord of the world!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hans Bethge (1876 - 1946), "Schwung" FRE GER
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Richard Georg Strauss. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2014-09-25.
Last modified: 2014-09-25 12:55:47
Line count: 9
Word count: 71