Language: German (Deutsch)
ach Herr! wie teuer
wollt' ich es hegen,
wollt' ich es pflegen!
Hab's nicht geheget
und nicht gepfleget,
bin tot im Herzen
Translation(s): ENG FRE FRE ITA
List of language codes
Note: the poem is preceded by the Latin inscription
A cujus igne
Et Te amare:
Cur non flagravi?
Cur non amavi
Te, Jesu Christe?
- O frigus triste!
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Tobias Hiller (b. 1966), "Seufzer", 2004 [mixed chorus a cappella], from Musikalische Mörike-Kommentare, no. 6. [ sung text not verified ]
- by (Karl) Emil Kauffmann (1836 - 1909), "Seufzer", op. 11 (Vier Lieder) no. 4, published 1868 [low voice and piano], Stuttgart, Zumsteeg [ sung text not verified ]
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Seufzer", 2005, first performed 2004 [tenor and piano], from Mörike-Liederzyklus, no. 15, note: added to the cycle in 2005 [ sung text not verified ]
- by Fritz Schieri (b. 1922), "Seufzer", 1993. [voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Ad. Stolz , "Seufzer", published 1892 [medium voice and piano], from Drei geistliche Lieder für 1 mittlere Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung, no. 1, Ludwigsburg, Ebner [ sung text not verified ]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Seufzer", from Mörike-Lieder, no. 22. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Sigh", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Soupir", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , "Soupir", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Sospiro", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:42
Line count: 8
Word count: 26
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works